Monday, August 25, 2008

The Mama's Perspective

First of all...please read the post below! Tony posted all about what a special day yesterday was for us. After you read that and comment, come back and read this!

OK, so yesterday marked the one year anniversary since we got our first ultrasound picture (ok, actual pictures) of our amazing daughters. Since this is our first (of many) anniversaries of this special day, I HAD to give my perspective of how that day went. You all already know Tony got the news while driving home from Indy (HOW he managed to keep the car on the road, I'll never know!) So now it's my turn to tell you about how my day went the day I found out about our sweeties!
----

Tony and I knew that we might be getting a call from Maury, our coordinator, regarding a kiddo. We also knew that there might be a possibility we would not be able to accept that child's referral (medical condition, etc.). So needless to say, we were a bundle of nerves for about two weeks before we got, "The Call".

We had just gotten back from a wonderful vacation, and I had started school. If I'm going to be honest, then I must tell you, I was suffering some all-time lows about the wait for our child. I knew the end result would be worth it, and I had given the entire situation to God...um, about a hundred times, because I kept taking it back. So, when school started, I was just glad to be doing something to take my mind off of the empty nursery.

So I am in my classroom just teaching away. Thankfully, I left my cell phone on (heheh, actually, I forgot to turn it off). When it rung, I dove toward my desk to shut if off. The sixth graders in class thought it was funny though. So I looked, first, to see who it was. When I saw Tony's name and number show up, I asked one of my co-teachers to watch the class while I stepped out into the hall. (THANKS Lauren!)

When I answered, my heart jumped because I KNEW this had to be it. Here's how it went...
(As close to the real convo as I can get)

Tony: Hey...
Me: Hi!
Tony: How are you (or something to this equivalent)
Me: Um, ok...where are you? Did Maury call?
Tony: On my way home from Indy, and yes
Me: And? Tony, you're killing me here...
Tony: She said there's a unique situation.
Me: Unique? Huh? How?
Tony: They have twins.
Me: Oh my gosh...oh my gosh...

Blah blah blah...here we both got a little choked up...I asked a few q's about the girls and he gave me the basics of what he knew (age, medicals, etc.)

Then...

Me: Have you seen their information? (Mind you, I'm trying SO hard not to freak, faint, or cry)
Tony: No, she's emailing it to you.
Me: OH MY GOSH...to my school account? This is for real...
Tony: I have a Dr.'s appointment at 2:20 anyway, so I can take their paperwork with me for him to look at. Can you print it off and I'll swing by and get it?
Me: Um, yeah...OH MY GOSH...twins...
Tony: Yeah....twins! I'll be by shortly.
Me: Ok, I love you.
Tony: I love you too.

(How about that Dr.'s appointment? Tony was feeling sick so he had scheduled it before we ever got the call! Can we say "God orchestrated"!?!?!?

I stumbled back into my classroom in a daze. My students were still there. What in the world? I just whispered to Lauren (co-teacher) that Tony got the call from our agency. I told her I needed to check my email. She kept right on teaching like a champ.

My knees were literally knocking as I sat at my desk to pull up my email. When I saw our coordinator's name appear with her email, my heart literally was in my throat. I opened her email and read the text. Then I did what I was most nervous about. I started opening the attached pictures. I did NOT want to fall in love with these kiddos. I wanted to be objective. I wanted to be fair.

When Zhuang LuLa's picture first appeared, I think I gasped. I know I cried. One of my students caught my eye and said, "Mrs. Foster, did you just see your daughter's picture for the first time?" She's a great little girl. I winked, and said, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Well, it was too late. Zhuang LuLa, and then Zhuang LuMei had stolen my heart. Here were two little girls on the other side of the planet that had NO idea that a Mama was just born.

Tony got to school and I met him in the hall downstairs. I took a deep breath and asked him if he wanted to see the pics. He said yes and when I revealed them, he grinned. His guarded, but loving heart melted too. "Cuties..." he whispered. From there, he was off to the doctor.

Although we weren't supposed to share the news (good grief, I had only had their information 10 minutes) I just HAD to call my mom! She cried! I cried! What a mess!

I immediately called my principal who was very understanding and let me leave early. (Thanks again Lauren, for covering my class!) I was able to buzz across town to go to Tony's appointment. They let me go right back to the office where Tony was sitting alone. I breathlessly asked him if he had shown the files to the doctor and he he said yes. He said the doctor said they looked good. It didn't matter...by this time we knew those girls were meant to be ours.

We stood in the parking lot and hugged and cried. We shared the news with a few immediate family members (China didn't even know us at this point). We immediately got working on our LOI (Letter of Intent) saying we wanted to adopt these beautiful girls. And then, we set about the business of naming our second daughter.

So much more happened that Friday, and the days that followed, but it's best saved for our family memories. I let you in on a lotof my emotions, actions, and thoughts from that day. What an amazing day. One of the best memories was sharing the news with my MIL, Kyna. We showed her Abby (she cried) and then when we got to Laney, she said, "We get both? Both little girls are ours?" Yes, Kyna. They're ours. Forever.

Those sad-faced little girls so many miles from us would soon become Abrielle LuLa and Delaney LuMei. We would work our hardest to get them smiling and loving life and God.

So, my friends. Where were you, what were YOU doing when you found out we had twins?

Description

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear momma,I was on the phone talking to your dad and we were both crying, To think, we were going to be grandparents again after our youngest grandchild was 19 and our oldest great grandchild was 8.OH WHAT A BLESSING WE GOT THAT DAY AND ARE STILL BEING BLESSED WITH THEM EVERYDAY. THANK YOU GOD FOR ALL OF OUR GRANDCHILDREN AND ALL OF THE GREAT GRANDCHILDREN. ALWAYS FUN AT OUR HOUSE. MAY YOU BOTH BE BLESSED WITH YOUR LITTLE ONES AS WE WERE WITH OUR FOUR. THANKS FOR BEING IN OUR LIVES. MOM AND DAD SADLER

IzzyBeth said...

Well - I came to the story a little late - but I remember sitting at my computer when you sent me the address of your website chronicling your trip to China. I spent the next few hours catching up on reading your blog - and cried the entire time (just like I'm doing now.)

God is so amazing.

IzzyBeth said...

Yeah - and then I would read the comments your MOM writes and cry some more (just like I'm doing now.)

Anonymous said...

I was in the lab, when you came down with the news and to borrow the phone in the auditorium for a little privacy! I was so excited for you, I was praying they would be healthy! I silently cried for you also, you didn't know that. I was thrilled for your future daughters, because I knew you and Tony would be great parents. And guess what? I was right, the two of you make a great parenting team to these adorable and courageous girls.

To all of the next anniversaries of your news, traveling, first sight, first meal together, first family photos (which I haven't seen any yet!!) and any other firsts there will be!!

God is great!!

Lynnette

Tom and Vickie said...

Rett,
I'm not sure where I was when I heard the news. I think I was in my office in the library and you were talking with the principal and vice about twins. I could tell in your voice this was something you weren't expecting, but the anticipation and excitement far outweighed any other emotion you may have had.

I can not believe how different they look from those first pictures to the current ones.

Congratulations to the entire family on this important milestone! You guys deserve it!

jkcm said...

I remember reading the post and then re-reading the post and then telling Jason about the most amazing thing that is happening to Tony and Rett.....and then I just stopped and started crying and he was like "are you going to finish telling me this story".....such a man.....So, being completely unable to verbalize at this moment, I just placed the computer on his lap to read and then when he was finished, I had to read it again, and see the pics again....then we went into a discussion about you guys prayed and prayed about getting your child (one)and how God was like, they have been so faithful and vigilant with letting me handle this, I am going to bless them times two with this one. Jason loves to debate with me but on this one, there was no debate, we were both in awe of God's greatness. Thanks for the play by play, love hearing about it!

LifeWithTheFerrells said...

Rett,
You made me cry reading your post. What a special memory you have. It is the most wonderful feeling feeling in the world, even better than finding out you are pregnant because you see these beautiful pictures! You guys are awsome parents and the evidence is in the faces of those girls! God bless your family!

Chris and Sarah said...

Oh do I remember the day I found out. I was going CRAZY waiting for the call and when I found out there were 2 I just cried and cried with tears of happiness. Then that night I got to see their files and I saw their B-day and about passed out when I saw that it was the same B-day as the little boy we had been praying about who is now our son and one of the girls future husbands.
What a BEAUTIFUL day that was!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a wonderful day!!
I'm still crying. Abby and Laney have been the greatest blessings to this family. I watch them and hold them and am still amazed we have these two wonderfull little girls. A year ago we just had pictures, today we have them here to love.
I will never forget that day, I got off work early to go to the hospital to see a friend who was just admitted. On the way I met Tony and Rett on the road, they were waving at me and then I got a phone call, Tony wanted to meet me somewhere, we were still close to their house so we met there. I was thinking what was going on and when I got to their subdivision I realized maybe this is it and I started crying. I was crying when I got out of the car. Rett wanted to know if my friend was okay and I said yes but is this what I think it is and they said yes.
I don't know if their neighbors were watching us but I cried like crazy and when I saw Abby I cried and when I saw Laney I cried even more. Thank you, thank you God for giving Tony and Rett these wonderful little girls. You have given them to a very special couple that loves them so much.
KynaMom

Anonymous said...

Okay now that I have wiped the tears away again! I was at my cousin's birthday party and I cried for you guys. Everyone wanted to know what was wrong. I told them they were tears of happiness for a close friend. I couldn't believe it when you said twins! They are the cutest little girls and I'm so happy for your family. (Tell Sarah I have two boys and your girls are spoken for! Ha!)

Rachel

Lauren said...

So, reading that made me cry too! I remember that day so well and was more than happy to "cover" for you so you could find out abut your family! I will never forget the excitement on your face that day, or for the days that followed! Watching the end of the adoption paperwork process and the amazing way that God kept making things happen will forever be etched in my heart and mind. Your daughters are beautiful people who are so lucky that they got you for parents! You and Tony are two of the nicest people I have ever met, and I cannot wait to see what is in store for your family next!

Shawnstribe said...

Oh i am so so glad i found your blog!!!!
we were right behind you, as we were forever family on Dec 3rd 07.
What a beautiful family you have, the girls are stunning
hugs from across the pond
xxx
s

redmaryjanes said...

What a great post for me. We are waiting for the call. I have given the situation over to God a hundred times but am struggling with waiting. I tell you, it's really hard...but you already know that.

Congratulations on your dream come true and thank you for sharing your story.