Thursday, April 21, 2011

ROUND UP!

Last night, we signed our babies up for kindergarten!  *waaaaaah!*

It was a night full of emotions!




Me:  Denial that they're old enough to attend kindergarten.

Them:  Confusion about WHEN kindergarten actually starts, and just plain excitement!


We walked in to a flurry of activity.  We stopped at the first table to get our folders of paperwork (more on that later)  We then went around the room, stopping at the different tables. 

*Side note*  I signed them up for Girl Scouts!!! YAY!!!

Then, while they colored, we filled out the necessary paperwork.  I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  When I fill out ANY paperwork on them, I get filled with overwhelming pride.  Overwhelming love.  Weird huh?  It's just that I am the one who gets to do the paperwork.  And I am the one who gets to sign my name as "Mother" or "Parent".  I'm not reading someone else's paper.  These papers are for MY daughters to attend kindergarten.  MY daughters.  We waited so long to be parents, I still just get so excited over things like this.  So there, that's a new perspective on paperwork for you.

Back to the round-up...We filled out the paperwork, turned it in, and set up a date for the girls to be tested.  The teacher AND mom in me, got immediately anxious!  My babies are perfect!  Why do they need tested?  Haha, I know, I know, standard procedure.

Afterward, we toured the school, and peeked in on some of my fellow teachers (they will be in the K-2 building while I'm in the 3-6 building).  The girls got to love on some baby chicks and got to see their new classroom.  They were SO excited!

 Well, until it was time to leave.

By the end of the tour, you could see that the girls were NOT ready to leave.  When I tried to take a picture at the entrance, you can see Abby bossing Laney to smile.  Laney was not ready to leave, I think.  Abby wasn't either, but she knew the quicker she smiled, the quicker she could get back to being nosey.

Then the girls asked the question I was hoping they wouldn't..."When do we come back?  Tomorrow?"  Ahh!  How do we break it to them that they have months to wait?  We explained that they'll start this fall. Yeah, that got us nowhere.  Here's what we sounded like:

Us:  You'll start this fall.
Them:  When is fall?
Us:  After summer.
Them:  Is it summer now?
Us:  No, it's spring.
Them:  When is summer?
Us:  After Spring.

UUUUGH!  It was like a bad rendition of "Who's on first?"

So anyway, the little sweeties basically figured out that it was going to be a while before they could start kindergarten.  But they quickly recovered with, "Ok, where are we going next?"  Home, babies.  Home.

*sigh*  So there you have it.  My daughters are no longer preschoolers....they're kindergarteners-to-be. 

I'm excited, sad, anxious, happy, thrilled, and devastated all at once.  Maybe on their first day, I'll drop them off and go meet with the school counselor.  Bah!  And for now, I'm going to soak up every last preschooler drop from them.  Before they learn everything else this fall.  Which is after summer.  No, it's not summer, it's spring.  When's summer you ask?  After spring....

Description

3 comments:

So Incredibly Blessed said...

Aww, I love this. They're just adorable! getting so big, too!

Chris and Sarah said...

How exciting!

That is awesome that you signed them up for Girl Scouts. I'm thinking about being a Brownie leader :)

Anonymous said...

I love your post! And I love Abby and Laney so much! We are not ready for fall yet, I know they are but we aren't.
Mimi