Monday, April 06, 2009

While I'm in the Middle of All These Deep Thoughts...

Ok, so another deep thought/post coming your way....

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to cook. Seriously. I go through phases where I want to cook up a storm and try new things. Usually, this happens in the summer when I have more time. Seriously, though, I make a mean Thai peanut chicken. And my biscuits and gravy aren't too bad, usually. My mom is a crazy good cook. The kind that says, "Oh, just throw a handful in." A handful? WHOSE handful? Mine? Or Abby's? But her cooking is so good, she puts Paula Deen to shame! :) Sorry, Paula!

But there are two things that I cannot, will not, am not able to make. Ever. Period.

1. Meatloaf

2. Hard boiled eggs

Done laughing? Well, I'll give you a second. Ok, done yet? Why does this even matter? I'll tell you.

1. Meatloaf--Tony LOVES meatloaf. It is his favorite, all-time meal. He would choose meatloaf over a big slice of chocolate, gooey cake. But my meatloaf, well, it's one big surprise from one meal to the next. I follow the SAME recipe every time, but sometimes it's too moist. Sometimes it's too dry and it falls apart. Sometimes it is just YUCK! No, most of the time it's just YUCK! Truth be told, I have my dad make the meatloaf if we're going to have it. His meatloaf ROCKS!

1. Eggs. My enemy. No matter how I cook them...salt the water, drain and run cool water over them, blah blah blah...I cannot get the shells to come off! I cannot get them out of the shell as a whole egg. When I am intending to make deviled eggs, I usually make egg salad because they're all broken up! Now, I'm being vulnerable here. Be kind!


With Easter being this weekend, you can see my stress. My dilemma. Can you help? PLEASE? How do YOU hard boil your eggs? Leave your tips and tricks for me! I'm COUNTING ON YOU!

Description

14 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

I can make meatloaf but I have the same problem with eggs.

I hope you get some good tips.

April Isaacs said...

I like to think I am a good cook too! But, I, like you, have a very difficult time with hard boiled eggs. There's some kind of science to it that no one wants to tell us about. Mine always crack as soon as I put them in the water. Instead of hard-boiled eggs, it looks like I am trying to make egg drop soup. Which, if I was in fact trying to make, I probably would not be able to.

So, rest in peace sister! Your friend April here, can't make them either.

P.S. I hate meatloaf. Sorry Tony!

Adeye said...

Oh gosh, my eggs are never perfect--ever! But, I figure [like MOST of the food I make] that if it is remotely edible--EAT IT! I have a 'this is NOT a restaurant' policy in our house--if it is put in front of you--EAT IT!!! Don't worry about what it looks like :)

Sorry friend--no amazing advice on how to make the perfect eggs :)

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

Hard boiled eggs are soooo easy!! Put your eggs in a pan of COLD water, just covering the eggs. Turn your burner on to med/high heat (closer to medium). When the water JUST STARTS to boil...turn the heat off, cover the pan and set your timer for ELEVEN minutes. Remove from heat, drain water & let cool a while. I find that if the eggs are completely cooled off, they are much easier to remove the shell without tearing up the egg. But sometimes...it just happens.

Our chickens are laying about 16 eggs a day now...believe me, I've become an egg expert. An eggspert!

Ok, as for your question on my blog...the CCAA is expediting our dossier because Shu Li is 13...once she turns 14 she is no longer eligible for adoption.

Lori

Jaime G. said...

hmph. i used to have the same problem with meatloaf until i started using a pampered chef baking stone and 97% fat free beef. and half cooked rice - not instant rice - real rice (i know some people use bread crumbs)and my eggs never have the shell stick to them but my method is bit different from lori's. i put them in cold water, 1 tbsp of salt, cover, get to a boil, remove lid, allow to boil for 10 minutes, drain the water, cover in cold water and let them sit for about an hour and stick those bad boys back in the fridge.

good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you asked that question about the eggs. You know I can't cook anything or should I say, I don't want to cook anything. I know very little about cooking, but wanted to do eggs with Grant. Thanks for asking so I can try to do it myself!

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Rett, the secre to the egg question is to add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar to the water when boiling your eggs. works every time.

Mary McG in TN said...

Put fresh eggs (just bought from the store) in pot, cover with water (cold) from the tap, gover pot, palce the pot on the eye of the stoce, turn the stoce to the lowest setting. Walk away. Check back in 10 to 15 minutes. If the water is boiling turn off stove. Leave pot on eye. Walk away. Come back in 15 minutes. Remove pot from stove pour water down the drain. Rinse the eggs in tap water until they are cool enough to take out of the pot and place on the counter. When they are cool enough to handle, tap the egg all around, peel over the trash can. VIOLA!

Mary McG
in TN

Anonymous said...

RETT T ,ONE MORE TIME......PUT EGGS IN PAN WITH COLD WATER AND SOME SALT(OH JUST A PINCH),AND PUT ON STOVE ON HIGH FOR ABOUT 15 MIN. REMOVE FROM STOVE AND DRAIN HOT WATER , SHAKE PAN WITH EGGS ONLY TIL THEY CRACK , THEN POUR VERY COLD WATER OVER THEM ,SHAKE AGAIN AND PEEL. WORKS EVERY TIME. P.S. MAKE SURE EGGS ARE FRESH(CHECK DATE) AND ALSO TO DYE FOR EASTER ,ALWAYS PUT A TABLESPOON OF VINGAR IN EGGS WHILE COOKING, TAKES DYE GREAT. LOVE FROM YOUR MOMA MISS RETT

IzzyBeth said...

I agree with Mary McG. That's how I do it! :-)

And our meatloaf never comes out the same, but we've had some great concoctions! (We didn't have any crackers, so we used Cheese-its . . . MMMMMMMMMM)

Anonymous said...

Eggs-- no luck with, the family is use to eating eggs with parts missing!!

Meatloaf-- Mine is different, I mix my ground beef (2#)with one egg (to help stay together) with shredded cheese(Cheddar or Mexican)and add salsa to it. Adds great flavor and moisture. I bake it in a silicon pan. I have never had it dry out. Even my pickiest eater will eat it.

I hope this helps.

Lynnette

Lauren said...

Okay, here's my meatloaf tip...I add the powdered (like Kraft) parmasean cheee to it. The cheese helps absorb moisture it it's to wet, or it retains moisture when it's a little dry. Oh, and I also add 2 packets of ketchup to the mix. I just keep leftovers from fast food. I don't know why this works, but it does!

Tony and Rett said...

If any of you want to drop off samples of you meatloaf for me to try, you are more than welcome to!!!

Tony

Sue Mom of Two said...

I know this is way late but I just read your post about peeling hard boiled eggs. Two hints that I have learned over the years. The first is don't use really fresh eggs. I don't ever use them after the date on the carton but I don't hardboil them when they are brand new either. And the other KEY is after you remove from the stove and drain them IMMEDIATELY put ICE COLD water on them.....as in water with a LOT of ice cubes. I let them sit in the ice water for at least 20 minutes and then move to the fridge. This works every time.