Friday, October 02, 2009

Flashback Friday

Well, my last Flashback Friday post went over like a lead balloon!  Only a couple of you remembered Jem and the Holograms!  I actually felt sad for you!  She was great! 

So, this week, I wanted to do another Saturday morning cartoon hit, but I figured I'd need therapy if you didn't remember this one either, so I'll hold off on that.  Instead, I want to highlight one of my favorite television shows from when I was an elementary school kid.. 

Anybody remember a spunky little girl who dressed in rainbow colors?  Her hair was always in pig tails and she was being raised by her foster dad?  (Hmmm, maybe that's where I first started thinking/learning about adoption?)  Of course I'm referring to PUNKY BREWSTER!  Her name was Penelope, but she went by Punky.  She was left in a grocery store with her dog, Brandon (who names their dog that?)  She eventually gets adopted by her foster dad, Henry.  (Ohhh, I remember when that actor died in real life!  I was so sad!)


I LOVED this show...I remember playing with my nieces (who are just a few years younger than me) like we were foster children and/or adopted.  I am sure we were NOT politically correct at all, but we were just kids.  I really do remember playing like one of us adopted the other one and felt so loved and safe.  We even acted out when we were first "adopted" to see if our mom would still love us!  Isn't that wild that I remember that?

So today, Friday, I salute Punky.  She was a snazzy dressin', trouble finding, little cutie.  (She had a cool name in real life too...Soleil Moon Frye.)  She was one of the first to introduce adoption and the love that goes along with it, to me!

Description

4 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

I LOVED Punky Brewster!!!

When Amaya's hair was longer every time I put her in pig tails someone would stop us and say "oh my goodness she look's just like Punky Brewster".

The Thomasson's said...

I totally loved that show!

Rob and Allyson said...

I absolutely LOVED that show!! I had (may still have) a Punky Brewster doll. She had sun-shaped barrettes in her pigtails that I would take out and put in my hair! Punky was my dad's nickname for me (and still is)...and now Rob has picked that up. Love this Flashback Friday!

Anonymous said...

Did"t she always wear two different kinds of shoes? I am sad to say I am not sure. OH well ,I am just your mom, and I. can"t remember...YOUR MOMMA