Thursday, March 18, 2010

Three Posts in Three Days????

Today, we had a FUN field trip to a local high school that has a hydroponics lab. They were growing GORGEOUS tomatoes and the biggest healthiest looking lettuce I have ever seen!
This is a sample of what the set up looks like. It is entirely run by high school students. They sell the produce to keep it up and running! It was awesome!
They also raise Tilapia through their animal science classes. They have these massive tanks of fish. Mr. Redden, the ag teacher, said they had nearly 3.000 fish. One of the tanks was an old cottage cheese/dairy tank...reused!

They even showed how to fillet a fish. The kids were appropriately grossed out. But the group I was with, included some daredevil boys who wanted to touch the eyeball, gills, and all the other internal parts. It was lovely. Ha!

Finally, we went into a classroom and talked about all that we had seen. Being the ultra cool teacher he is, he brought out dried mealworms. Then, in Fear Factor style, he offered a mealworm to anyone who wanted one! The kids looked at me to see what I'd do. Well, like any good fifth grade teacher, I took one and popped it in my mouth! It was crunchy and disintegrated into dust. It was a bit spicy because they were seasoned like corn nuts. Hmmm, come to think of it, they tasted like corn nuts!

He proceeded to offer crickets too, but I declined. Enough protein for one day.

I know, random post, but it was such a cool trip! I'm looking forward to going back and buying some of that produce!

So...would you have tried the mealworm?

Description

5 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

What do you think?

The Thomasson's said...

That is so funny that you are the worm! I bet the kids were talking about that all day!

Mark and Melanie said...

Can't say I could have choked down the mealworm - I've seen some pretty nasty things as a nurse, but at least they aren't in my mouth - lol!

Just want you to know that I've been praying for you even though I am not great about commenting on your blog.

Have a great day - well... how could you top an already exceptional day such as you've had? :)

Adeye said...

Nope, there is no way on God's green earth I would try that :)

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

Where the heck were you when I was in 5th grade?? Wow, you are a WAY COOL teacher!! Love it!! No doubt you were the topic of conversation at many dinner tables last night!